Thursday, May 20, 2010

Italian Sausage



I'm still looking around town for a curing fridge so until the time that I find one I like we shall sausage onward into the frey. We actually made this last week but I have just been slow to post it.

This batch was from Ruhlman's Charcuterie. We used the sweet version but modified it a bit because we wanted a bit of spice. The meat spent about 15 minutes in thye freezer after we had cubed it up and then we ground it up into what you see in the picture above. The grind was mixed by hand for a minute and then into the stuffer it went.



Stuffing went much faster this batch and we did not have any burst casings. We cooked up a little and it tasted fantastic. Very fresh flavors with just a little bit of heat from the pepper flakes we added to the mix. In the end we got 20 links. Over half of it is now gone due to great BBQ weather.

On other side notes: I'll be brewing this weekend so I'll have my first real "Malt" post up soon. My hops are also starting to come up and take off. I'll have to get some pics to show you guys. Wish me luck on finding a fridge.
Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! I made cevapi last week (Bosnian sausage type-thingies) and loved them, but I simply must try a casing type sausage soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Mmmm, Bosnian sausage type thingies, now that sounds very yummy.

    I buy all of my casings from Butcher & Packer. If you do want to do some casing type sausages they will have everything you need and then some. I didn't mention inthe post but these last two batches have been with cologen casings. The next batch we do we are going to use hog middles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post... I'm finally getting ready to make my first sausages later this week.

    Keep up the good work.. and if you decide to come down to pdx for some Tails and trotters pork, let me know and we'll get together for some drinks with the owner, Morgan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I'll let you know when I'm coming down. Their pigs look and sound amazing. I have been very inspired by what you've done with thier stuff. That coppa you got from Morgan made me drool on my keyboard. Oh I almost forgot, I want a T-shirt. Do you have any in stock and how much are they. Your logo is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete