Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Fenel Cured Salmon... Meh?



My second Salmon cure went very well except for one fact. I don't care much for the end product. It may just be me but the only thing I can describe the taste as is fenel fish candy. I followed Ruhlmans curing recipe so I am guessing that it is just my taste buds that are freaking out. I wanted to post more pics but all of them turned out to be crap and quite fuzzy. Good thing I'm not a photographer.

So I'll try to find some use for my little fishy friend and start another piece of traditional gravlax this weekend. Lesson learned, fenel salmon is not my cup of tea. But enough about fish - There is a swine update coming across the wire.

I should have all of the components for the first sausage making this weekend. In fact I will have gathered everything I need except for a curing fridge which will be my last purchase, probably this next week. And then my friends the curing can begin. I've been reading so much about this stuff I am starting to have pork dreams. I would really like to do a coppa and a lonzino to begin with as well as a basic salame. Wish me luck!

Cheers!!

3 comments:

  1. Try better fennel seeds, or even fennel pollen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Scott. I think I'll also use less Pernod next time too. It felt like it was fighting with the salmon taste too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh yeah, be careful with the Penrod, that stuff is strong, I can see with that and the fennel, you pretty much had licorice fish! :( Fennel isn't everyone's cup of tea either (and a lot of people drink Fennel tea, but I don't like it!)

    ReplyDelete